In an attempt to keep things light around here, and to remind myself that life is not all trouble and woes, I want to list a few of my favorite things. Things that make life ...
Pleasant.
Meaningful.
Enriched.
Fun.
Blessed.
Get the idea?
Alrighty then! Pull up a chair, grab some cool lemonade, iced tea, or chilled soda, and think about these blessings with me:
- Hand-written letters. I know ... they're a rare commodity now days. Do you even remember the last time you received something handwritten? Or the last time you hand wrote a card or letter and gave it to someone? I personally love receiving cards and letters via snail mail. Old fashioned style. Where someone has put pen to paper, simply to bless me. Or vice versa, me writing a hand written letter to bless a friend, struggling relative, or missionary. Best feeling in the world.
- Afternoon thundershowers. Is there anything better than when the sun shines all morning and early afternoon. Then evening rolls around, along with the storm clouds and the thunder, effectively cleaning the air - and my mind - with the fresh scent of rain. Bliss, I tell ya'. Pure bliss.
- Cat
nipsnaps. Whether it's me or the kitty taking one, they're nearly as refreshing as a full night's rest.
See? Here's a pro cat napper:
By the way, that picture in the background is of my girls when they were about two and three. It's my favorite, so I framed it and put it on that grand piano I'm itching to get rid of. And see that chipped piece of wood right behind the kitty's behind? That happened right after I wrote this post, while leaning up against the piano to take a picture of Andrew.
I never claimed to be anything but a soup sandwich.
Woopsie. Rabbit trail!
We have a lot of those out here on the Prairie.
- A good story. I don't care what form it's in. A movie, book, or someone simply telling me a story of their childhood. I'm a sucker for good stories. Ones that portray real life, and ones that have happy endings. Like Sound of Music. And Anne of Green Gables. And Christy.
- Brown paper packages tied up with string. Ok, I confess. That's plagiarism. But my point is that gifts are truly one of my favorite things. Not just receiving gifts, but giving gifts ... to new mommies, birthday boys and girls, those celebrating anniversaries, or for no other reason than "just because."
And last (for now), but certainly not least:
- Bible pages. I recently read a bit of my grandpa's Bible. I loved reading the little handwritten notes in the margins, and seeing what he thought was important enough to underline, knowing that he had hidden so many of those underlined verses in his heart. One of my most vivid memories of him was to walk by his bedroom, and see him with one leg hung over the bed, one on the bed, glasses perched on the end of his nose, reading the Word of God. He loved it, and I love it too. I do feel somewhat bad for all the time I interrupted his reading to ask him for a lemon drop. But I'm thinking he must not have minded too much, because he continued to keep a fresh supply of lemon drops on his dresser for any grandchild who might ask.
Thanks, Grandpa. I can't wait to ask you for another lemon drop.
I'd love to hear a few of your favorite things, and you can do that by simply clicking that little word comment, right below this post.
~Brenda
1 comment:
Brenday,
Oh how I love snail mail cards and reading my hubs grandmother's Bible. Blessed indeed!!
Have a Blessed and Beautiful Monday,
Dawn
Post a Comment