Thursday, June 11, 2009

Good News and Bad News

Okay, so here's what I found out concerning my blog title copyright (or lack thereof). This is from the U.S. Copyright website, so I think it's accurate. It was in their FAQ's:

How do I copyright a name, title, slogan or logo?

Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information. However, copyright protection may be available for logo artwork that contains sufficient authorship. In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark.


You want the good news, or the bad news first?

Ok, we'll go with the bad news. I like to end on good news.

The bad news is that, obviously, Melissa Gilbert can use the title Prairie Tale if her little heart so chooses. That's not really bad ... it simply leaves me a bit edgy and tryin' to resist the urge to to chow down on a bag of Dove chocolates.








And I mean a bag ... not a piece.

The good news is that, obviously, I can use the title too! I don't mean here on the blog, because, if anything, it would be Melissa G. who violated copyright laws, and would therefore be the one who was consuming large amounts of wine chocolate to appease her frazzled nerves. My main concern was whether I would be able to use the title in the future for a compilation book, and that concern has been all washed away at this point.

Say it with me:

Whew!!!

----------------------------------------------------------

And on a lighter (aka chocolate free) note ... my post about title rights has generated a good dose of (very kind and gracious) comments and new Lovely Lurkers, leaving this Prairie Mama ...

Pleased. As. Punch.

I don't know if you noticed, but I have two options for "joining" my blog. There's the BlogFrog widget that shows Lovely Lurkers if you click on "See all 25 Lovely Lurkers." That's the place you want to join if you'd like to participate in having a little Prairie tea time together at the Prairie Tales Community forum. It also shows if you or someone else has visited via your blog, possibly generating more readers for you.

Nifty, huh?

Of course, you need to have the BlogFrog widget on your blog in order take advantage of said priveledges. But that's easy peanuts. Just go here, and the nice folks at the BlogFrog will walk you through it.

The other way to join is to simple become a follower (below the BlogFrog news feed). If it were me, I'd be like the kid on the movie Radio when asked which type of pie he'd like. He said, "I'll take both."

"Taking both" would allow me to keep track of who has joined, and it allows you to get the possible readership that all bloggers would die for cherish.

This is, of course a free country blog, and therefore, your wish is my command. I'm just here to help lay out options.

-----------------------------------------------------------

And on that final note, I would like to wish my Lovely Lurkers a fantastical, sweet, and not-so-chocolate-free day, coupled with a keen sense of God's presence and love in your life.

It can happen ya' know.


~Brenda

3 comments:

PW said...

Glad that you found out some information for your future book. But I still ask, can't you still use Prairie Tales:......and after the colon put, something like the life and times of a twentyfirst mom, or whatever...as a title. Just some ideas.

Hope you enjoy your chocolate today!

~Brenda said...

Yes, I can use Prairie Tales for my blog and my book. Sorry, I think that was a little unclear in my post. What I meant to say was that the blog of course is not an issue, because I had the title up before Melissa G. ever came out with her book. My question was whether SHE was violating a copyright by using my blog title. And of course, she's not. Nor will I be violating any copyrights to use Prairie Tales as a future book title.

Hope that clears things up.

In other words ... it's all good. Both for Melissa G. and me! :-))

~Brenda

PW said...

WHEW....so glad that its ALL good...now go and enjoy some chocolates!!