Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Plea For Prayer

Shortly after I wrote of my excessive elation about the upcoming arrival of two babies, I read this email from my Dad:

Last Monday, Rhonda had a car accident. She has a severe spinal injury to the neck area. She had surgery and that went well, but she may end up partially paralized.

I am requesting your prayers and your churches prayers for her complete recovery according to the Father's will.


After visiting with Rhonda (Dad's wife) and Dad yesterday, I sent this email out to my church family as a follow up:

Please continue to pray for my Dad's wife, Rhonda. Rhonda and two of her children were traveling after a full day and night without any sleep. Rhonda was driving and fell asleep at the wheel. Her son has some minor bangs, but her daughter walked away without a scratch. Rhonda is, at this time, paralyzed from her shoulders down, although she has some very limited movement in her right arm, and she can feel sensation in her legs. Only time will tell how far her recovery will extend, although the doctors said if she doesn't regain the ability to move fairly quickly, a full recovery is unlikely.

I'm amazed at how God put her so close (geographically) to us through all of this. Her and Dad live in Michigan, but she will recover here, clear through her rehab. She has two aunts that live nearby also, and her kids live five hours away. I had never met Rhonda before yesterday, and this was my own choice. I regret it now, and as you can imagine, yesterday's visit was rather awkward. However, she was very receptive to me, and seems very open to a relationship.

I don't know what's going to happen relationship wise in all of this. But I know God has a plan. On the way back home from the hospital yesterday, I thought of all the reasons why I shouldn't get involved emotionally. Then Luke 17:33 came to mind:

Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.

As usual ... it's really not about me. :-) Pray that I will remember that. Pray that I will have a servan't heart, and not simply seek to protect my own wellbeing.


I wanted to share all of that with my Lovely Lurkers, because I know several of you are pray-ers, and I'm asking you now to pray with me for a full recovery for Rhonda. And more importantly, we need to pray for broken relationships to be restored. Not just where I am concerned, but where Rhonda and her family are concerned, as there is also plenty of family feuding between her and her close relatives.

Sometimes it takes circumstances like this to unite souls that are at odds with one another. My prayer is that this sorrow will not be wasted.

~Brenda

2 comments:

PW said...

I will be and already am praying for all concerned, including you.

I am well acquainted with rough relations, and know some of your feelings.

Many hugs ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

Unknown said...

Hello my new Prairie Friend. I am so sorry to read this post, I can relate to the relational angst and I will pray for God's healing to take place physically and emotionally and for His light to shine and bring hope and grace to all of you. Sorry this is so belated, I don't get a chance to visit my blog list every day and lately it has been more like once a week. I have just caught up with all the other excitement in your life and praise God for that beautiful baby and such a beautiful relationship that you have with your sister.

Prairie Hugs =)

Prairie Chick.