On Wednesday's, Shaun teaches a class based out of our church. We're going through the book Don't Waste Your Life, by John Piper. In it, Piper says:
The really wonderful moments of joy in this world are not the moments of self-satisfaction, but self-forgetfulness.
What types of things do you pursue when trying to obtain self-satisfaction? Some people will seek food, possessions, or various ways to obtain more self esteem. Others will seek sports or another passion. The list of pleasures could go on and on, and it's very easy to get swept up into the false perception that these things can provide the type of satisfaction we are seeking.
For the second time this week, Luke 17:33 comes to mind:
Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.
I don't know about you, but I could use some work on living a more selfless life. What a world we would live in if we really believed that selflessness was the way to obtain self-satisfaction.
Where is self-satisfaction found, ultimately?
In Jesus Christ, God's Son. That's what He came to earth for. To live a sinless life, and to ultimately give His life for you and me, so that we can live eternally with Him. We can also have a close relationship with Him here. On earth.
And that's satisfying.
I don't know where you are spiritually, my Lovely Lurkers. But if you're reading this blog today, and do not have the satisfaction that only Christ can bring you, I pray that you will open your heart and life to Him who can quench the thirsting in your soul. You won't find the joy, peace, and satisfaction that you're seeking anywhere else.
Trust me. I've tried.
Are you running through life in the pursuit of purpose, peace, joy ... satisfaction? God made you to crave "something more." Why not turn to Him to help you find what you're looking for?
To fill the void in your heart.
~Brenda
1 comment:
Mmm... this really resonates with what God was speaking to me all this past week. I get down and low and I am the kind to seek human companionship and because of teh life I have chosen I am not out there doing all the "stuff" alot of the other girls are doing. God is telling me it's tight and okay to seek companionship as part of a balanced life, but not to put the weight I do on it. If it's going to make me feel sorry for myself, when I have a fantastic husband who loves to be my companion, and 5 great kids who love to be with me, then something is out of whack. It should be icing on the cake, not the flour that makes it.
He really does satisfy, and His gifts are perfect.
Post a Comment