Friday, July 31, 2009

Through Rivers and Fires

I've been working on a pictorial post all throughout the day, but am having issues (or ithues, as my kids would say).

So instead, I'll share some thoughts about ... well ... about what I'm thinking.

This waiting game with the doctor is proving to be rather, shall we say ...

Ahem!

A pain in my rear.

While I was dusting today, I ran across an old card that a dear friend sent me when my Grandma died back in April. In it, she encouraged me with this verse from Isaiah 43:

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned,
Nor shall the flame scorch you.


Of course, I know in my head that God is always with me, that whatever waters I pass through, whatever fire I walk through, He will be right there with me. Even in the valley of the shadow of death, He has promised to be with me. But the reminder helped it sink into my heart.

Waiting is hard. Having heart problems is hard. Not feeling like I can eat is hard.

But Rivers and Fires are always worse if you go through them alone.

Good thing I'm not alone, huh? Good thing that a friend loves me enough to to do some reminding. Good thing I have a husband who assures me he will never leave me, no matter how sick I get.

So while I am not rich in much of what the world tells me is wealth today, I am excessively wealthy in comfort from my Lord, in assurance of love from my husband, and in the companionship of friends and extended family.

And that, my Lovely Lurkers, is true wealth.

Walking through Rivers and Fires is scary ... at times terrifying!

Walking through Rivers and Fires with God, and friends, and loved ones by my side ... well it's still scary!

But it's bearable.

And for that I will be forever grateful.

~Brenda

1 comment:

Bible study group said...

Amen and Amen!!!!
Brenda I am so sorry you are going through this AGAIN!!!! Hang in there girl. That is all we can do at some stages of life. Something my dad has said to me a lot lately...take it a day at a time, if that is too much then a hour at a time...still too much a minute at a time. Good advice! Let me know if I can help.
S.