Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Comfort Food

There's comfort food ... and then there's comfort food.

Food for the belly, and food for the soul.

Food for the belly is a sore subject with me because of this, but food for the soul?

Now there's a topic I can discuss!

Last night, I was playing the piano for Shaun while he was setting up a new printer. You could say I was serenading him. He likes it when I tickle the ivories for him. It blesses him, relaxes him, and lightens his heart, particularly if I play hymns.

But as is typical of ministering, the one who ministers very often gets a blessing as well ...

As my hands softly played, my heart became lighter and lighter as I silently sang these words:

Every joy or trial
Falleth from above,
Traced upon our dial
By the Sun of Love.

We may trust Him fully
All for us to do;
They who trust Him wholly
Find Him wholly true.

Chorus:

Stayed upon Jehovah,
Hearts are fully blest;
Finding as He promised,
Perfect peace and rest.

(Taken from Like A River Glorious, by Frances Havergal and James Mountain)

What struck me in that last verse was the idea that trusting was a choice we make. We can either trust Him wholly, and find perfect peace and rest, or we can choose the imperfect route of anxiety and distrust.

I don't do this perfectly, so my peace and rest are not perfect. But it was a good reminder of what to strive for ... what direction to go in.

Who or what will your put your trust in today as a result of your trials?

Whatever trial that falleth from above, I hope you choose to trust Jesus wholly, so that your heart can be fully blest.

Comforted.

Perfectly Peaceful.


Like a glorious river.

~Brenda

Psalm 34:8 - Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

5 comments:

Girly Do Hairstyles said...

just having met you I know very little about the trials you are going through and how long you have had to endure them, but I can tell you find great comfort in the Lord and that is such a great thing. I love how you show that in your words. I loved reading this. Thank you for sharing.

russ said...

I enjoyed this post. and the lyrics. and the sentiment. thanks.

Anonymous said...

Helleo Brenda, Really want to know ? Come by my Xanga blog, or visit my Dutch Blogger blog and you will know. Be well and do sing along, will you
Godeliva van Ariadone

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

Thanks for reminding me about what I already know.
:)

Unknown said...

I love that song so much! And you truly live out the truth of the lyrics. Staid on Him, finding rest in the storm.