Me too!!
And I've tried to do a little bit of just that recently.
What am I reading?
Well, a couple of things.
First, I'm reading Don't Waste Your Life, by John Piper.

If you are searching for significance, and don't wish to waste your life ... read this book!
If you want to challenge your thinking, the way you spend your time, what it is you are living for ... read this book!
I don't want to get to the end of my life, not able to think of a single thing I did for Christ. This book teaches me that a life lived for self is a wasted life. A life lived for Christ, magnifying Him and glorying in His presence is a life well lived.
Ah hem! Excuse me while I just step up on my soapbox for one moment ...
I'm sure you've heard the news that Michael Jackson died this past week. While I feel for the family, I feel even worse for MJ.
Why?
Because I think he's a perfect example of a wasted life.
Was he talented?
You bet!
Was he rich?
You bet!
Was he, at times, a giving person?
Probably!
Was anything that he did for to the glory of God? Did he ever desire to exalt Christ above himself?
I'm not seeing it!
That's an example of a wasted life.
Why do we, as American's, idolize people like MJ? Perhaps because he's a little more "tangible" than Jesus? Because we can see him with our very own eyes?
I'm a firm believer that you can see Jesus too, with a little faith.
Where can you get some of this faith, so that you might see Jesus?
Romans 10:17 says that Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.
Meaning ... read your Bible.
In addition to reading your Bible, go to church. Be around others who have faith, so that your faith can grow.
Deep breath ...
Hopping off my soapbox ...
I'm also reading A Distant Music, by B.J. Hoff

This is my light summer reading. I love to read books based on the late 1800's, early 1900's era. If it's a Prairie story, all the better. This particular book isn't about living on the prairie, but a mining town. Life is hard, and life is not always peaches and cream in this book. But the children that attend the one room schoolhouse, with Jonathan as their teacher, are indeed blessed.
I'm only about a third of the way through, but I am hooked. I love reading how many of these children are not wasting their lives. They're modeling their lives after Jesus, with the fine example of Jonathan right before their very eyes.
One little girl in the book was puzzled as to what to do in a very difficult decision. She asked her friend what she would do, and that friend said that she would do what Jonathan did ... because Jonathan always did what Jesus would do, and her ultimate goal was to always do what Jesus did.
And that, my Lovely Lurkers, is the way to not waste your life.
Do what Jesus would do. Glorify Him while you're doing it.
~Brenda
Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together. ~Psalm 34:3 (emphasis mine)
6 comments:
Hi! I came to your blog from MckMama's discussion boards. And I'm actually going to check out Piper's book. I've read some really interesting things from him before. Isn't it a good sign that we ought to read something when our first reaction is, "But I might need to change!" LOL Maybe I'll go to the library today ;-)
I went to your store and looked at your darling clothes! They are wonderful and you are very talented.
Linda
http://coloradfarmlife.wordpress.com
I actually found the Piper book on my 16 year old son's bed stand yesterday. He had just come back from a Christ in Youth conference last week, and I was excited to see that he was interested in reading that!
Sounds like a great read to me. I am in the middle of Zorro's Field.....again, just can't get enough of it. From reading your blog I know it's the kind of book you would love. Thanks for your comments over at Johnson Family Farm, been so busy I have not had time to update in such a long time. Not much time for any blog reading either, I miss that too. Following you and hope to get back here soon. Thanks,
Chris
mmmm... I LOVE Piper, and am pumped to see your wonderful advice on picking up the word and staying in fellowship. Preach it!
Hello Brenda, But don't you trust that Christ has a purpose in and for each single one of us and that we as Christians must stay far from judging others, since we are ignorant in this aspect ? What makes you tell that another persons life is wasted ? What do you know about the other persons soul ? I do not have all these answers and I try to look for beauty everywhere. It is a interesting matter, don't you think ?
Godeliva van Ariadone
Post a Comment