Monday, August 31, 2009

A Desperate Need For Jesus

Yesterday, our Pastor preached on the woman in Mark 5:25-34 who had a flow of blood for 12 years. She was sick. She was humiliated. She was deemed unclean, and therefore quarantined. She was an outcast, and she was seriously hurting. Not just physically, but emotionally and spiritually.

For 12 years - nonstop.

She was mighty brave for going out into the crowd when she may have been discovered. But she knew Jesus was the One who had what she needed. If she could but touch the hem of his garment, healing would be hers. This was her chance to end her world of hurt.

So she pushed and shoved her way through the crowd, her sole desire being a single stroke of a finger across His hem.

She succeeded, and she was healed. Just as her faith told her she would be.

But this is obviously more than a story of physical healing. This is a story of a woman with a desperation to get Jesus.

As I sat listening to the story of this afflicted woman, I wondered ... do I live like that? Like Jesus is all Ineed? All I desire? Am I so desperate and faith-filled, that if I saw Him, I would know without a doubt that touching a tiny portion of the hem of His garment would heal all of my hurts?

This woman truly is a picture of desperation, but she's also a picture of surety in knowing where hope lies. She was so weary of, and hurt by the many physicians who had failed her. So when the Great Physician came into town, she made a bee line for Him ... because she was sure this Physician was different than all the others.

And that, Lovely Lurkers, is exactly what you and I should do when we are weary, helpless, hurting, and alone. My bet is that if you're reading this, God has orchestrated it, and you are indeed one (or all) of the above.

So make your own bee line to Jesus. Step out in faith, just as this woman did, and experience the healing that only He can impart.

He'll meet you where you are, just as He did with this afflicted woman. I'm so glad I didn't have to be perfect and whole before coming to Him.

And neither do you.

Our job is to accept and hunger for Him. It is then that He redeems, heals, and makes whole.

~Brenda

4 comments:

Kami said...

I've never thought of the story of that woman in this light, but I so agree with it! I love the way that this story was told ... thanks for sharing, sweet friend! :)

Mark said...

Great thoughts - thanks for sharing - I wonder sometimes if I need Jesus enough - thanks for making me think

Peter P said...

Great post.

I wish I felt that way. Our comfortable way of life gets in the way of us focusing on the truth.

Thank you for the reminder to fix my eyes on Jesus!

Deborah Ann said...

Hi jBrenda,

This is one of my favorite bible stories! Very good insight here. I saw further down you were looking for a good laugh...look no further.

www.heavenlyhumor.blogspot.com

While you're there, sign up to play a game I'm hosting next week, there's a nice prize! Don't forget to become a follower so you can play. See you there!