I still feel that way today.
Spiritually, I am good. Physically, I'm fed up!
I just want to say that those of you whose hearts beat as regular as a time clock, don't take it for granted. Those of you who can eat anything your heart desires and your stomach, like clock work, digests it as though you've given it exactly what it longs for, enjoy it. Because if it ever goes away, you'll realize what an ungrateful little twerp you were for not thanking
Now, having had my little temper tantrum for the day, I can honestly say:
I'm content.
No, seriously. I am. Not physically, of course. But spiritually, I resemble the tides of water that Jesus rebuked in Mark 4:35-41.
They're calm.
They're peaceful.
And Jesus is their master.
Jesus rebuked me yesterday, just as he rebuked those winds and waves - and his disciples, for not trusting in Him. For not remembering that God was with them, that He is in control, and that He knows each and every wave of trial that comes into my life. He not only knows it, He orchestrates it.
That didn't used to be comforting to me. It made me feel as though God was mean, ready to strike me dead at any wrongdoing.
But I've come to realize that when the tidal waves come crashing against my boat with a raging force, there's great spiritual growing to be done. And God cares far more about my spiritual growth than He does about my comfort levels.
I, as an American, love comfort. Comfort food. Comfortable clothes. Comfortable temperatures. Comfy, comfy, comfy!!!
And sometimes I feel like standing on the roof of my
Kind of like when the disciples said, "Hey!! Wake up!! Don't you care that we're all going to die?!"
But Jesus of course knew they were safe, because He was the master of their storm. He carefully planned it, calmly executed it, and confidently controlled it.*
Just as He is doing with my life.
Am I fed up with my stubborn heartbeat and faulty stomach?
Absolutely.
Am I rejoicing that God has a plan, and is working all things together for my good?
Absolutely.
And that's what I really want to shout from the top of my big, comfy house. Because today, my Lovely Lurkers, is the first day that I can truly say that ... and mean it.
~Brenda
*taken from a message preached by Pastor Mike DeVries
7 comments:
It's taken me a long while to reach the point you have, with lots of ups and downs along the way. In the end, God's not out for our comfort as much as our trust. That, I think, is what matters most to Him.
What a great and honest post.
Good post - I've been too focused on God not making me comfortable lately - good food for thought there......and btw, I am a safe & harmless "lurker" :-)
Sometimes blessings come as curses in disguise. I had a friend that lost her leg due to illness. She later said to anyone who would listen that losing that leg was the biggest blessing of her life. Perspectives change.
Don't you love it when God speaks sooooo loudly that you wake -up from your fog? Me too. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Beautiful. I think getting reprimanded -- it happens to me, too -- is wonderful. It means that God is really, really with us, and it means that we have learned to listen to Him (and that is so important). I wish you good health -- spiritual and physical -- and will say a prayer for God to keep watching over you and, if necessary, reprimanding you.
love it. just love it. God is glorified when we praise Him through the pain.
Post a Comment