Friday, August 7, 2009

In The Shadow Of His Wings

God gave me this verse last night before I laid my head down on my pillow:

Psalm 57:1

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, Until these calamities have passed by.

Are you in the midst of trouble? I seem to be drowning up to my neck in calamities, as are many of my family members.

Notice in this verse that the Psalmist was making a choice to take refuge under His wings. It didn't just happen. His choice to take shelter under the wings of the Lord until his calamities passed was on purpose, deliberate.

And that's what I am choosing to do. Taking shelter until my troubles have passed. It might be two weeks. It might be a lifetime, but choosing to stay in the shadow is vital.

Faulty heartbeats, broken families, loss of employment ... these and all calamities should make our feet swift to take shelter under the wings of the Lord.

Why would we deliberately choose to be out from under that protection and comfort?

I don't know the answer to that, other than that's what fallen human beings do.

But let's not give in to that fallenness. Let's resolve to take shelter. To hunker under His wings, where safety resides. It won't instantly sweep your troubles aside. But what a comfort it is to be under that wing of His ...

Sheltered.

Warm.

Peaceful.

Just make the choice to take cover.

You'll be glad you did. :-)

~Brenda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda...at the lake the other day I watched a mother duck with eight little ones following her across the inlet of the lake. They were having a frolickingly good time splashing to and fro. Until she, they and I all became aware of a dark circling shadow above the lake, silently seeking easy prey. I jumped out of my car, waved my arms and yelled "Sheeeeewww" at the top of my lungs. The hawk circled ever lower, as if I was invisable. I fearfully looked back at the lake. Not a sign of a duck anywhere. In the time it took me to execute my ineffective defense, the ducklings had implimented Psalm 57:1. The little ones had made mother's wings their refuge and she in turn had headed for heavy vegetation at the waters edge. Everyone took cover, hidding themselves until calamity passed.

Thanks for the reminder today that we have a very merciful God with very large and welcoming wings. I'm under there with ya, babe, safe in the shadow of the Almighty.

Anonymous said...

Very comforting reminder for me right now. I'm sure I'm not alone in needing to read this! Thank you.

Unknown said...

"take cover". I love that. in the shadow of His wings.