Finally ... an update as to what the doctor said.
But hold on to yer Prairie bonnet, cuz it gets kind of ugly.
I called the doctor three times, attempting to get test results. I was put off by the receptionists each time, but also assured that I would get a call. When that never happened, I decided physically going into the office was necessary.
So ... off I marched early this morning.
Hand in hand with my hubbies parents.
For support.
Cuz I'm whimpy like that.
I first told them I needed to speak to the office manager so that I could get to the bottom of why they refused to give me my test results. They informed me they didn't have an office manager (what??), so I told them to get me whoever it was that could resolve the issue. Apparently, that's the nurse. You know, the one who never calls back.
I said "Great! I'll wait in the waiting room for the nurse to show up and give me some answers."
A few minutes later, the receptionist called me back up to the front and said, "It turns out the nurse won't be back until noon."
I swear she wanted to duck, fearing a rotten tomato was headed straight for her head. But she was brave. She stayed put.
I didn't want to walk out of the office without the issue being 100% resolved, aka my side of the story heard. So I said, "Okay. Can I just say something?"
"Sure," the receiptionist replied, her big brown eyes staring up at me.
I said, "Quite frankly, this is not a cold sore we're dealing with here. We're dealing with cardiac issues in a patient that has a long cardiac history. And furthermore, Dr. S. called ME on this issue. He got this ball rolling. He ordered these tests. He called ME and told me that something was not right about all these extra beats I'm having."
I paused.
"That's not cool. And I'm having a hard time dealing with the wait of not knowing whether something serious is going on. If he's overbooked, that's fine. I can go elsewhere. But I need to know. And I need to know today."
At this point, her eyelashes were fluttering so fast I felt a cool draft on my heated face.
"I completely understand, ma'am, and I will have the nurse call you as soon as she gets in. I'm writing a note so that I don't forget. I promise she'll call you."
"Great! Thank you, I really appreciate it." I said. "Oh ... and one other thing. If I don't hear back today, I will be back to get my records so that I can go elsewhere and get the care I need."
"That's fine. I understand." The nodding and eyelash batting continued.
"Alright. Well, I thank you for your help, and for getting the ball rolling."
"You're very welcome," she replied.
We walked away from the desk.
"Now what was her name?" my mother-in-law asked.
I rushed back and asked her what her name was.
"My name is Lydia," she said kindly.
"Well, Lydia, thank you again for all your help. I really do appreciate it."
"You're very welcome."
I feel sorry for receptionists. They have to take all the crap that the doctors faithfully bring to their phones and desks. But I think Lydia and I are ok, and I will be calling her back to tell her I know it's not her fault, and that I really did appreciate her relaying the urgency of the situation to the nurse.
At 12:40, the nurse called me back.
"The doctor said that your ultrasound was just as normal as your last one and if you're still having palpitations, you should come in and see him."
Silence.
"Ma'am, what other ultrasound is he referring to?"
"Oh .. let me check the computer."
Silence.
"Hmm ... looks like there's not another one on here."
I laughed a sick laugh.
"That's because there's never BEEN another ultrasound. That was my first one ever."
At this point, it's clear to me that I'm being given a standard answer to get me to go away.
So I jumped in while I could.
"While we're at it, do you mind explaining to me what the hold up has been with getting me these results?"
"Well, an ultrasound normally takes a week. But as for the rest of the wait, I don't really know why he didn't return your call."
I'm convinced at this point that I'd soon be on the hunt for a new cardiologist - asap style. You know, one that returns calls, cares about his patients, doesn't cowardly shrink in difficult cases. Yeah, that kind of doctor.
Sheesh.
I've never fired a doctor before, but I guess there's a first for everything!
So onward we march. I've called my cardiologist in Houston for a referral in my area, and also asked him to read the results and give me his opinion. I've never been treated as an annoying little pest down there, and I look forward to dealing with some real professionals who actually give a hoot about their patients.
Just the thought of that is pure bliss.
So stay tuned, ya'll!! I hope to hear something within the next few days. I know, I know ... you've heard that before.
All I can say to that is ...
I know how ya' feel.
~Brenda
11 comments:
Jeepers. That is inexcusable!!!
Hope you can find a competent one SOON.
Jeepers.
Lucy
I am so sorry this is happening to you, but I applaud your persistence. I will be praying the Lord will lead you to a Dr that will communicate with you.
Hugs
Grrrrr... I'm glad you're looking for another doctor!
Brenda so sorry about all the waiting. What a nightmare! I tell you every time I go to the doctors office I want to send them a bill for my time sitting in the waiting room. Seriously what are they telling us they are more important than we are as patients that their time is more precious than ours. What ever happened to customer service? Honestly! We should start a customer service campaign! I know a few could cardio docs but I live too far away! Best of Luck!
Brandie
Brenda,
I understand where you are coming from. Our pediatrician's office is exactly like that about everything. I don't think that they have ever called me back about anything. Even when our pediatrician was preparing to test our 2 year old daughter for bone cancer. Not a peep from his office about results.
Now, I just ask when the test will be ready and then I call and HOLD until I speak with whomever I need to speak with.
Well, they did call me back one time, but that is a whole 'nother story about rudeness.
We do really like our pediatrician which is the only reason I've stuck with him.
Praying that everything is resolved. Shortly!
Definitely time for a new doctor - there's no acceptable excuse. Now if there was Rate Your Doctor website ...
Good for you for standing up to them!!!!!!!
It is really crappy to have to deal with doctors offices that are like this. I've been in the same situation. Keep being persistent and I hope that the referral will bring you a doctor who can answer your questions.
Good job sticking up for yourself! Don't know where in the prairie you are, but if you are ever near Ohio way, I know a super cardiologist. He is the parent of one of my former students. I'll keep you in my prayers, girl!
so sorry, Brenda. I'll be praying you find someone who cares and is passionate about their work.
That totally sucks- I have been doing the run around myself for my son. It is unbelievable what some people can do. I am so sorry you got treated so poorly. I hope you find a doctor/nurse that is much better! I am seriously so sorry!
Post a Comment