While reading this, keep in mind that we're doing video homeschooling. That means we watch recorded class sessions. They're real classes, with real kids and teachers. It's like going to school, but I overlook student work, administer tests, etc.
So!
Ten things I'm learning at (home) school this year:
1. Some students are just one peanut short of a box of cracker jacks. We were studying verbs, right? So Miss R. calls a student up to the front of the class to act out the next verb. Said student puts her arms out in front of her, makes two fists, and begins "driving a car." Student in the back of the class raises his hand, and says, "Milking a cow!"
Ok, I know you're not supposed to laugh at the children. But seriously? Milking a cow?! I not only laughed. I turned red, couldn't stop laughing, and had to pause the video to gather my wits.
*Snort!
Milking a cow ...
2. Perfection isn't the goal. Our Pastor always says, "Direction, not perfection." Don't expect perfection from yourself (or others). Work hard in the right direction. No better way to discourage a kid than to expect all of his work to be perfect.
3. I've forgotten a lot since graduating *bleep* years ago. Ohhh. Don't look at me in that tone of voice. I bet you're in the same boat. No? Then tell me (without googling it) what a male bee is called. Go ahead. Which bees work, and which ones only mate? Which ones die and which ones hibernate? Hmmm?
4. I like the poem, The Village Blacksmith, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
5. A little encouragement goes a long way. Never underestimate the power of a positive word (or two, or more). I'm beginning to think of it as fuel in my child's gas tank.
6. If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. I loathe this saying. It's a cop out for other family members. The fact is, if there's one unhappy family member, all others suffer. So in that respect, yes. If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. But let's get to the real point and admit that if Mama, Daddy, son, or daughter ain't happy ... ain't nobody happy.
7. You cannot put in what God has left out (Douglas Wilson). Best approach to take is to nurture your child's God-given talents. Don't try to turn a struggling math student into an algebra teacher, or a seamstress into a chef.
8. I no longer find history and science boring. I liked chemistry in high school, but all other science classes, and every history class I took were the biggest bore and frustrations of my young life.
Not anymore!! I love learning much more than when I was a kid. What's up with that, anyway? Anybody else experience the same? Is it a matter of maturity?
9. To help a child is to store up treasures in heaven. Every day, whether the homeschooling process is grueling or smooth, I know my efforts will not merely amount to wood, hay, and stubble. This is God's work, folks. It's work I'm happy to be doing, even if it sometimes means dirty dishes sit longer than I prefer, or late night laundry folding.
Ok, ok. The dirty dishes sitting bothers me more than I've just let on. I'm gradually (continually!) learning that a spic and span kitchen is not high on the totem pole.
10. I don't like to sit for six hours a day. Hurts my bompy, and makes me sore and sleepy.
The end.
No comments:
Post a Comment