Good Morning, Lovely Lurkers!!
It truly is a good morning! The rain has stopped, and it's a gorgeous day. I plan to plant some flowers, and simply tackle items on my to-do list.
You know ... like blogging.
I'm on a new journey, and I thought I'd invite you to come along. I've made up my mind to do some memorizing of Scripture. Not only is it therapeutic spiritually, but also mentally, and I believe every Christian should have a good stack of Bible verses hidden in their heart. It helps us preach the gospel to ourselves every day, keep our minds focused on the One who is most important, and as my first batch of verses tells me ... we will become like trees planted by the rivers of water.
Unmovable.
Grounded.
And that's what I'd like to become.
So here's what I'm going to do. Each time I sit down to blog, I'm going to try and recite to you what I have memorized. My first passage I've been working on is Psalm 1 from the NKJV.
How will you know I'm not just annotating from an open Bible?
(Wicked laugh) .... you won't!! You'll have to trust me. And something tells me it will be rather obvious anyway.
So, here's my first attempt. I've only been working on the first three verses of Psalm 1, so that's what I'll attempt to recite to you.
Ahem!!!! (Wow, I'm a little nervous) ....
Psalm 1
Blessed is he who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful.
But he delights in the law of the Lord; and in that law he meditates day and night.
He will be like a tree, planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its own fruit,
Whose leaf shall not wither,
And whatever he does shall prosper.
Okay ... that doesn't seem exactly right. Uno momento, and I will look the passage up and copy and paste it for you....
Ready?
Ok, here it is:
Psalm 1
Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.
Wow. I really messed up that fruity line.
I italicked (is that a word?) all the places I messed up. I did get the gist of the passage, so that's good. But when it comes to Scripture memory, I really like to get it perfect. Because Scripture is perfect, and I don't want to mess it up.
Can I just say I love that last line? "And whatever he does shall prosper."
That just goes to show you that if you're focused on God, hiding His word in your heart, doing His will, not seeking to please "numero uno" ... whatever you do will prosper!!
And on that good note, I'll just say, thanks for listening to my recital. And if you are not already on a hiding God's word in your heart journey, I hope you can join me!
Cuz nobody likes to go on a journey by themselves.
~Brenda
8 comments:
Great Job!!! Even though, I'm in the midst of box packing, I think I'll join you. Might not make it every day, but I'll work on it. Psalm 1..got it! I'll try. thanks for doing this.
btw, I just started a third blog, (yes 3, I might be a little crazy!). Well, the one is about reading/gardening; the other is about discussing various things related to Christianity; and the third one started today, is about Daily Bible thoughts and prayers. It'll be on the third one where I'll show my memory work with you, since the other two are pretty well going in other directions. For links, see my blogger profile. thanks
Hi PW!! Thanks, I'll check out the blog. So glad you are joining me!
~Brenda
I'm glad to be joining you too! :)
Okay, off with my kiddo for the afternoon, and will work on Psalm 1 while supervising the bike riding at the church lot!
btw, glad you noticed my blog move, thanks.
Oh, btw, thanks for encouraging me to be real. I added a second post before I go outside.
Hay that is the first scripture I ever memorized....31 years ago. The other night I lay awake at 2:30 praying and those words came back to me in a floud. Don't tell me the word is not alive and active. I am working on 2 timothy 1:12
Sarah
Hi Sarah,
John 1 was one of my first memorization journeys. I still know it pretty well. 2 Tim. 1:12 is a great verse for you right now. Glad you are still memorizing ... because yes, the word IS alive and active!! No telling how God will use what you've hidden in your heart, even years down the line.
~Brenda
Post a Comment