Cute, aren't they?
Unlike most mama birds, I do not and will not push any of my baby birds out of our nest. Mostly because there's no need to. I know they'll all leave on their own, even though Andrew at times looks at me like he would feel really bad for me if he left.
Don't get me wrong. Raising three teenagers can tend to give you a downright craving for the days of empty nesting. There's a lot of emotional pain, heartache, and frustration in raising teens.
But you love 'em anyway.
A lot.
And when they take their first little wing of flight ... that's when mixed emotions can really take you for the flight of your life.
I posted a Facebook status this week that said, "Whoever said, 'If you love something, set it free' can go suck an egg!!"
My poor Facebook friends. They get the brunt of my frustrations at times.
But that is how I have felt. I haven't talked much about the empty nesting that is taking place, because I don't want to hear all of the comments about how we just have to let our kids go. Let them do their own thing.
Cut those apron strings ...
But it's not about cutting apron strings. For me, it's more about that ch-ch-ch-change I talked about earlier. I have done nothing but build and tend my nest since I was 18 years old. I was married at seventeen, and just after my 18th birthday, Ashlee was born. I've been a stay-at-home mom since. I have no education, and little health to go out and get one once my nest is fully empty.
Empty ...
Looking back twenty years ago, I did not dread the change of marriage. Nor did I dread the change of changing diapers. Those were all new and exciting.
Can't empty nesting be new and exciting??
Somebody help me see the light. I have clearly not thought about this enough through the years to prepare myself for the inevitable booting of my birdies.
Such a mixed up combobulation of feelings. I'm so excited for them. And so lost when it comes to the rest of my own life.
As a result, I feel a bit brokenhearted. Yes, that's the easiest way to put it .... brokenhearted. Not like someone has actually broken my heart, but that my heart is just breaking.
Because even though they fly on their own accord, you fear that they are attempting their first flight with unhealthy wings. You are uncertain they know how to find food on their own ...
And whether they'll remember their way back home.
Perhaps it's a little more about cutting the apron strings than I thought.
~Brenda, the brokenhearted Mama BirdThe LORD is near to those who have a broken heart ... Psalm 34:18
9 comments:
Aww! I think every good mama bird feels a little bit of breaking heart at that stage, right? I KNOW my Mom did and she was AWESOME about us moving away to college or where ever. Since I am 26 and acknowledge that compared to someone like you who has SO much more life experience, I know diddly-squat and can't offer any advice but I will PRAY for you!
Oh Brenda, my girl, my heart aches for you. Did you ever think that this may be God's way of opening new doors for you? I know in my life that when I felt my most desperate and lost, it was then that He revealed a new path for me. Something that was always there. Just something that I had never considered before. I am probably making no sense, but know that I am praying for you my prairie girl. Maybe someday we can gab in real life! ;)
Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity
Empty nesting is never an easy thing! I say this through the perspective of my own mom, as I am the youngest of all of her children, so when I left home she went through a bit of a lonely period. Guess what? It didn't take long for her to discover that she now had time to do all of those hobbies she had set by the wayside while putting her children in priority! Now she has time to visit with friends, she has time to sew and bake more frequently, she has uninterrupted time with her husband. I think we all need more of THAT! :)
Know that it is likely just as hard for them to leave as it is for you to see them leave. Feel free to call! I called my mom every single day when I moved out. I still call her at least three times a week - and I've been out of the house for seven years!
Most of all, don't feel bad to grieve. Change is a good thing, but not when it causes us to bottle up our feelings. Yep, you will miss your babes, but there will also be a new found freedom that comes with empty nesting. Who knows? Maybe you'll have more hobbies that rise up again after having been put on the back burner after so many years of being mom!
I think it's a good thing :)
Seasons of life sometimes take us by surprise. And even if we have seen them coming, it doesn't make it any easier. But God always has purpose in bringing you to where you are now and what He will have you do in this new season.
You may want to journal your feelings and experiment with the possibilities of what your future may hold.
Dawn Herring
JournalWriter Freelance
Be Refreshed!
Brenda,
Sorry I have not visited for a while. I am thinking of you often though and hoping well for your heart. Now even more so. Be encourage by the fact that my mom and I are much closer now than we ever were before so although your heart is breaking now it will heal over time and there are even better things to come!
Brandie
Well dear Brenda, you COULD try read some of my posts on either one of my blogs, where I write about: how two of them flew out...and returned ! How is that for an empty-nest-symdrom-but-not...I myself felt - for a while -sweet, strong bird flying against the waal of the shed and instantly dropped down !
But... as you say: you LOVE your sweeties...and keep cleaning up after them..
But...I do know what you are telling here: an era is ending...and a new one is beginning...look at the bright Brenda site of live..
Godeliva van Ariadone
Brenda - I am right there with you.
My oldest is 18 and well, he is becoming more and more independent. It is heart breaking, and I feel your pain.
Hay Brenda, maybe there are a whole bunch of baby birds who need a foster mama (if you know what I mean) Have you ever thought of that? :) Love ya lots.
Oh! You are peeking into my heart. My oldest is almost 18 and we were just talking about how he might want to live at college next year and I couldn't eat for the rest of the day.
know that you are not alone......but also know that we serve a Loving God who totally knows what it means to "let go" of His child.
Post a Comment