Thursday, October 7, 2010

be still my soul

I'm currently reading Be Still My Soul, by Elisabeth Elliot. Her spiritual wisdom and grace have blessed me beyond measure. This is my second time reading it, and I'm learning new things as if I've never read it before.

Instead of trying to explain, I'll simply show you an example. 

And I quote ... 


To walk with Him is to walk the Way of the Cross. If the cross we are asked to take up is not presented to us in the for of martyrdom, heroic action of some kind, dragons or labyrinths or even "ministry" -- at least something that looks spiritual -- are we to conclude that we have missed the Way? Not at all. Sometimes the humblest life, such as that of "Mom" Cunningham (mentioned in Chapter 5) is the clearest example of obedience. 

And get this ...

The Way of the Cross is an ordinary street in an ordinary city. It is an ordinary life lived in the grace of God. There is a pot of gold, there is a king's reward, but it comes at the end of the journey. (p. 94-95)

This gives me hope, meaning, and focus. It's so easy for me (little, insignificant me) to believe in my heart that what I do day in and day out makes little or no difference. What is so heroic about washing underwear and teaching long division? I ask myself.

Ah, but that's the Way of the Cross. Those ordinary, every day tasks that seem so menial, so blah, are my ministries. My God-given assignments for the day. 

The older I get, the more I am able to say that I want to live an ordinary, servant oriented life, but I still have a long way to go. I do find comfort, purpose, and ministry in the ordinary. And if nobody else on earth sees ... if nobody takes notice ... that's ok. Because God notices.

I can rest assured that at the end of my journey, I'll find my my pot of gold.

And so will you, my friends.

So will you.

Just be faithful. Keep serving. Keep loving.

Most of all, keep praying.

Your king's reward awaits you.

2 comments:

Duane Scott said...

"My God Given assignments for the day."

I like that. I always did good in school and assignment talk is something I'm used to.

Thanks for this today. :)

I have homework to do.

Unknown said...

I was just going to say the same thing as Duane Scott above..

"My God-given assignments for the day" ... that just shot straight at me. That says so much right there. I just may use that as a title in a post..if that's alright with you.

Love this post and I have enjoyed reading Elisabeth Elliot's book. Thanks for posting this.

Anne @ http://lessonsthrulife.com