Monday, February 25, 2008

Mort, Lizard, and Pooh

I picked Jessie and her two friends up from school today, and on the way home, her friends were teasing her about how her laugh sounds like a neigh. So to join in the teasing, I told her to stop neighing, because after all, she was named after a cow, not a horse. You see, when I was a kid, we owned a cow. The cow stayed in a local farmer's field until it was ready to be butchered. But the cow was really very cute, and so my brother, Bob, decided it needed a name - Jessica. (We apparently didn't know the rule of not naming something that will later become dinner!) Anyway, I loved the name Jessica, and yes, that probably stuck in my head somehow and later became my second daughter's name. When I first told Jessie about our cow, Jessica, she was convinced that's who she was named after. I tried to convince her otherwise, but it didn't work, and so now we just console her by telling her that she was a very good looking, good tasting cow. And in honor of our cow, Jessica ... I sometimes call her Jessie Cow instead of Jessica. Warped sense of humor, I know. But that is how nicknames get started.

My dad has called me Brenda Pooh, Pooh Bear, Pooh, Pooey, and all sorts of other variations since I can remember. I'm not real sure how that nickname got started. I'm hoping it wasn't because I reminded him of the "bear of very little brain" ... hopefully it's because I was cute and round as a toddler. ;-)

He also gave my brothers their nicknames: Leaping Larry Lizard, and Mort (short for rigormortis). Sorry Bob, I think you got the short end of the stick when it came to nicknames. :-)) I am also unsure of why my brother's names were changed to Lizard and Mort. Dad, if you're reading this, pray tell! Why are we Mort, Lizard, and Pooh? Our fragile and damaged self-esteems want to know.

I can also recall a friend growing up, whose name was Michael. That is, until Dad came along. One little instance of that kid shoving a rock up his nose, and his name was Rock Beak from that point on. I'm not sure where Rock Beak is today, but we can rest assured that he'll think twice before he puts another rock up his beak ...

I have to admit, my Dad's the best at renaming people. But a friend of ours did an equally good job of renaming Dad when he began calling him Hairbag. Those of you who know my Dad will agree that no other name could possibly be more fitting. :-)

Although our nicknames were weird (at best), we always knew Dad was being lighthearted and funny when he used them, as I am when I make mooing sounds at my daughter. I have many more nicknames I could share, but I'll wait to do that another day. Until then, feel free to share your own nicknames, or those of your children.

Thanks to those of you who have replied (via email) about my post on early marriage. Lots of good discussion and I hope you'll always feel free to post a comment or email me anytime.

Until next time,

~PrairieBren
"Nicknames stick to people, and the most ridiculous are the most adhesive." Thomas Chandler Haliburton








No comments: