Tuesday, February 26, 2008

More on Nicknames

After reading the blog, my dad wrote me an email with these words:

Jessica was the name of the cow that I had butchered and when you were told that, you would not eat her.

So there ya' go. Us kids were not in the know about the fact that we would have to eat Jessica. Way to stick up for my rights (and Jessica's), huh? ;-)

Bob was actually named after my cousin Robert Lee Stewart who was killed after a car wreck and subsequently fell off of a horse and did the job permanently. The nickname of Bob when I was raising you guys was Robert Lee Rigamortis Rugrat,.....I guess from actual rigamortis from my cousin who was dead.

I'm sorry, Dad. But there's something just not right about that!! Now all of you who know me will understand why I turned out the way I did. Ha! What a riot!
Larry Dean Haynes was named after my cousin Larry Haynes whom shot a rabbit with a 44 mag causing immediate disintegration. Dean came from Dean Harrison whom at the time I thought a lot of. (Later I did not)

Dad also told me that Larry was called Leaping Larry Lizard for being skinny (and I think it was also due to the fact that he was a quick runner).
And finally Brenda Pooh Bear came from me being silly as you were so cute you reminded me of the Winnie the Pooh Bear. I now have a Sheltie named Winnie the Pooh.

Awwww ... now I have a dog named after me too. I'm told she has big brown eyes like mine. I feel so flattered, Dad. Truthfully, I am reminded of a certain picture of me as a girl. I'm sitting by the sink in the bathroom, and with the big eyes and very chubby cheeks, I could see how one would think I looked akin to Pooh Bear. So ... no hard feelings.

It's been fun to recall some of the silliness of growing up. I'm thinking there's a book that needs to be written about all of these riotous memories. So if you see a children's book out there someday with some familiar absurd and wacky names, you'll know why.

~PrairieBren




No comments: