The closer we get to Christmas, the more I think about Christmas as a child and the traditions we had growing up. A trip across town to Grandma Brown's house was always the norm, after our own gift opening. There we'd find apple pie, pumpkin pie, turkey, chocolate fudge, peanut butter fudge, rolls, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy ... and of course, peanut butter balls. All of which were homemade. Grandma was the best cook!!
Extended family were always present, and my Aunt Virginia was always late. But then, it wouldn't seem like Christmas if she wasn't. :-)) I would don a new sweater most every Christmas, given to me by my mother, and my brothers and I would bring whatever new toys we were given. Not sure whether that was to play with them, or compare with our cousins. Either way, it was a hoot to show them off.
Sledding on Grandma and Grandpa's hill was always appropriate, provided there was enough snow. As we got older, I think the tradition became more like sneaking cigarettes on top of the hill instead of sleds. But we won't talk about that.
After our bellies were full and the sledding (aka smoking) was finished, we'd hurry back to the house. There, we'd usually find the adults in some heated political discussion, to which all the cousins would roll their eyes at and head for the basement.
As was tradition, a game our family invented with Scrabble pieces called "Take Two" was brought out (when the women grew weary of the political banter). I personally think the game got its name from the fact that they always played it until two in the morning! But they claim it got it's name from how many scrabble pieces you take at each turn. I have to admit ... it's addicting! I've taught it to my kids, and while they also find it addicting, there has yet to be a night that we stayed up until two in the morning playing it. Call me wimpy, but I just don't have it in me to do that anymore. :-)
Since Grandma is now in a nursing home, the tradition of the family gathering there has ceased. However, there's not a year that goes by that I don't think of it, and miss it terribly. I've struggled starting my own family traditions, but only because I've felt somewhat like a lost pup in doing so. This year, I'm hoping to make a few things Grandma always did, such as peanut butter balls and pumpkin pie.
Although I can't be with her this year, Grandma will always be in my heart ... especially at Christmas. In a way, it felt like Christmas all year 'round at Grandma's house. She had a way of making people feel welcome (as long as you agreed to eat her food), her home was always inviting and seemed like a second home to me. Her generosity will no doubt live on in my heart. I only hope that I can carry on that tradition of hospitality that she so graciously bestowed upon her family.
Lest we forget ... Grandpa, although he was the quiet one, was just as generous as Grandma. He provided hours and hours of comfort for me, sitting with me on his couch, letting me hold his hand. I am sad that he was so sickly a good portion of my childhood. But his love for all his grand kids was more than evident, and his was a love that I can cherish and be most thankful for.
So here's to Grandparents and Christmas traditions!! May we never forget what they've done for us, and may we be wise enough to pass it on to our own families.
Merry Christmas to you all,
~PrairieBren
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault
No comments:
Post a Comment