Monday, January 25, 2010

Fort Pulaski

I officially loathe Blogger upload. These are not going to be in the order I would like, but we'll deal with it. :)

These are pics of Fort Pulaski. I do have lots of other pics from the trip, but I thought I'd just cover a "few" today. I think I took about 250 pictures, so this really is just a few!

I had never heard of Fort Pulaski before, but when I researched Civil War sites in Savannah, Georgia, this is what I came up with. I was not sorry I went!! It's an awesome, well preserved, Civil and Revolutionary War site. I could be obsessed with Civil War anything, so when I found out this was located in Savannah (and we were planning a trip there), I was elated.

While I could have spent all day there, we only had a couple of hours. If I ever go back to Savannah, I'm going to take a full day to tour.

Anyway, I'll explain along the way as you scroll through the pics. Enjoy!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

We're on top of the fort here. The seemingly out of place board was interesting to me, and when asked what it was for, we were told that the soldiers used it all along the outside for extra protection. Makes perfect sense. :)






A bit of damage from the enemy ....


This is overlooking the fort. It was an incredibly gorgeous day. Clear skies, as you can see, and about 65 degrees. A slight change from our negative temps!







This is the door after we entered via the drawbridge. I felt like I was entering a castle!




Bringin' out the big guns!!! There were a lot of these placed all along the outside (top) of the fort. These guys were well armed ... or so it seemed to me. What do I know about warfare?



The only two surviving soldiers. Heehee. Just kidding.


This is a cannon inside the fort (they had a lot of those too!), aimed right at the drawbridge. Would you want to be an unwelcome guest there???




Ashlee and Daniel. The real purpose of the trip was to move her down there. She'll be living there until the wedding, on April 24th.








Daniel, me, and Andrew on the drawbridge.



View while standing on the drawbridge. Like I said ... gorgeous day!


Outside the fort.



A bit of history. Click to enlarge.



And then we visited Narnia, where Prince Caspian swept me off my feet ....
Ok, ok ... this is just one of the entrances. But you have to admit, it's rather Narnia-ish.



This has absolutely nothing to do with Fort Pulaski. It's just a big, beautiful church that I snapped a picture of on my way to Fort Pulaski.



The sword of surrender!!! Way. Cool.




Awesome quote.




Ashlee and Daniel outside the fort.




Bedee, bedee ... that's all folks!!! Well, for now anyway. There's more! Lots more!! But that's all I have time for today.
Hope you enjoyed your tour of Fort Pulaski. And if you're ever in Savannah, do go! You won't be sorry. It's more than incredible to see where actual battles took place, to step on the same ground that Civil War soldiers once did, to see their living quarters, their place of worship, and their medical facilities.
The two hours I toured seemed like about a half hour. Time flies when you're havin' fun!!!
Mo' later,
~Brenda

2 comments:

Brandie said...

You need to go under your settings and scroll down to the bottom and click on new editor. It makes life much easier and you then have an option on how big to make your pictures and what order to put them in from one blogfrogger to another. I promise it is much better!!

Unknown said...

three words darling, windows live writer. It's free, it's easy, it's wonderful! You compose your blog posts in live writer (offline) and it will publish them to your blog, it is so quick and painless when it comes to uploading pictures!