Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thoughts Of A Mother-In-Law To Be

Ahem!! Remember this couple? Yeah, the ones getting married in 18 days? Yeah, them. Ashlee will be home on Saturday!!! Sister Jessie is out in Georgia as I "speak" having a week long party with Daniel, Ashlee, and Peter before driving back with Ashlee, Peter, and Daniel's best man, Eric.

Clear as mud? Good!


It's been challenging to plan a wedding so far apart, but I think we've done fairly well. Having said that, the you know what might hit the fan when Ashlee gets here and it dawns on us what we've forgotten. However, if that happens, I'm sure I will be cool, calm, and collected. Because Prairie Girls .... they're always dignified like that, mmmhmmm.


All dresses are bought (but not all have not come to the house yet - including mine), flowers are ordered, cake is ordered, church is reserved, reception is planned. Now if we can get all the decorations made and in order, ready to take to the chapel, I think we'll be doing good.


At least I'd like to think so.


I woke up Monday in a panic that was bigger than Texas, and I determined that it was absolutely necessary for me to put an end to it. The hymn "Moment by Moment" immediately came to my mind, and I've chosen to focus on the lyrics (even though I loathe the tune), and at the same time, asking for grace in time of need. God is faithful, and He has helped me to literally live moment by moment. Granted, that does not mean that I don't do any planning. I still make my lists and check them twice. But I want, nay need, to operate on a moment by moment basis. Any operation that requires keeping track of a lot of details has the potential to make me suffer near panic attacks. Definitely not my forte, and therefore, I am in need of an extra dose of grace and help in my time of need.


Honest and true - I am looking forward to the 24th!! I will see lots of family, friends, take lots of pictures (which is becoming more and more a love of mine) and I get to wear a pretty dress (vain, I know). In a lot of ways, it will be sad, simply because my daughter is moving away - really far away. My husband will "give her away", although if anything ever happened to Daniel, she knows we would be right here to catch her. But the "giving away" is not for the faint. She's been in our care her entire life of nineteen years.  Perhaps this is where Corrie ten Boom's advice to "hold all things loosely, so God will not have to pry them out of my hands" should be heeded. It's not that I am unwilling to let go of her. It's just that, in the letting go, I look down to see rose colored imprints on my palms and fingers. But I know that with time, this too shall pass ...


So come April24th, as I look on, Shaun will take one last walk with Ashlee as his very own, down the petal laced aisle, to meet her bridegroom in holy matrimony. Our little arrow that we have hopefully taken from our quiver of three, shot into this world to make it a better place, and to further His gospel. From that day forward, she will still be our daughter, but she will primarily be Daniel's helpmeet, his confidant, his lover ... and so much more. Such potential to be an arrow that will go far, make an impact, and hit whatever target the Lord gives her to hit. This is my sincere hope and prayer for her. And although it will not happen because of our excellent markmanship skills, I trust it will happen because God has the power to direct our precious little arrow in whatever direction He wishes. I trust Him fully with my little arrow ... in spite of my frail aim.

Much love to both Ashlee and Daniel as they embark on this crazy, exciting, wonderful, and (at times) painful thing called marriage. Always know that you are loved, prayed for, and cherished.

Much love,
Your Mama on the Prairie


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda,
I love the way you write! And what a beautiful story you have shared with us all here. Having a daughter, I totally can understand what you are going through. What I can share with you is that no matter where she is, she will always be your little girl and that bond will never be broken.

Donna said...

Hello from Texas!
Love your blog and all the photos!
Lovely family...I also "feel your Pain" concerning the wedding plans...Hubby and I just got Our daughter married on the 27th...Lord Girl, I'm Still tired!Hahaa...but Crystal is 36...so that makes Me...too old!!Hahaa
Good Luck and best wishes to the happy couple!

PW said...

Blessings on the rest of this journey to the altar with your daughter.

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

WOW Brenda! Such grace and poise coming from the mom-in-law to be. :) I hope I am as wise when it comes time for my kiddies to branch out.