Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Joys of Stuff Mart

Have you ever been walking out of Stuff Mart, with three hundred dollars worth of merchandise in your basket, with your head held high, confident of where you parked?

Unfortunately, today I was a tad bit over confident. I was sure (nay, positive!) I parked right outside the south entrance. Problem is, there's really about three aisles that could be considered right outside the south entrance.

So - I picked one. The wrong one.

I only parked about seven parking spots away, of that I was sure. So when I passed the 15th car, you would think I would stop.

Pride does weird things to people.

I finally decided I had no choice but to turn around, all one hundred and eight pounds of me, pushing God only knows how many pounds of groceries.

It became painfully obvious that the Stuff Mart parking lot had a definite uphill slant. And that I am terribly out of shape.

I pushed, I heaved, I smiled at the nice folks giving me the "You're an idiot. I'm so glad I'm not an idiot" look, and started singing "It's the MOST wonderfuullll time of the year."

Not really. But I thought about it.

Just then, a lovely lady popped her head out of her van and said, "Did you lose your car?"

"I did!" I cried, thinking she would help me.

"Oh, you poor thing," she replied. "Don't you have a button you could push that would tell you where it was?"

"No, I'm in my daughter's car, and it's older. So no little button to push. Where do you think we are?! Staples?! You think those stupid easy buttons really do work, punk?"

Ok, those last three sentences never escaped my lips. But again, I thought about it.

Instead, she smiled at me, wished me luck, and I continued up the mountain slightly slanted hill.

Finally, with my heart beating wildly, my nose as red as Rudolph's, and my pride as wounded as could be, I rounded the corner where I could get to another aisle.

"Whew! It's all downhill from here," I thought.

Indeed, it was downhill, and that beat up little Toyota never looked so gorgeous in it's entire 20 year life span.

No matter that it has a bash in the side. No matter that it's faded, and dirty, and old. I fell in love at that moment, for the Toyota was my rescuer. My savior. My heeeeeeeeeroooo!!

'Tis the season to be jolly, folks. I hope you're able to put on your holly jolly Christmas cheer, no matter how hustly and bustly it gets around your place. Remember the Reason for the season, and I'll try and take my own advice!!!

Merry Christmas!!!!!

~Brenda

2 comments:

Kami said...

LOL - I love this story! When I go to large stores or malls, I have to park in the same place every time, or I just can NOT find my truck (and you're right, the button doesn't work when you push it because you have to be awfully close to my truck for it to work!).

Thanks for the smile, friend! :) Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

oh this brings back awful memories of me losing my car downtown one day when I was in my early twenties. It was winter, it was cold, I was rushing back to my car to avoid a parking ticket and I literally could. not. find. it. I must have done the rounds of 3 different city BLOCKS and was huffing and puffing and IN TEARS when I finally saw it up ahead and of course the parking officer was just writing up my ticket and had no mercy for poor lil' ol me. I cried a bucketfull of tears (I always do when I get a ticket). Silly me. Love ya, Merry Christmas Prairie Bren.