Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Book Review: Fearless


Fear is something we all experience, and I am not immune. In fact, I have welcomed fear in my life numerous times, and under numerous situations. In Fearless, Max Lucado addresses the very real, and sometimes ominous presence of fear in our lives ... from fear that God is not real, to fear of violence, fear of not mattering, fear of death, and many other scenarios. Chapter by chapter, he takes what many people in today's culture are afraid of, and compares them to the experiences of those in the Bible. I was amazed at his ability to make such parallel's, bringing these Bible stories and situations to real life, making it easier to identify with the age old, but true, stories of fear and how to deal with those fears.

Max Lucado invites us to fight fear. It's something we all have to do, because it comes into every one of our lives at one time or another. He points out that the one statement Jesus made more than any other is to "Fear not." So if you are struggling with fear, to whatever extent, I would encourage you to pick up this book and read it! Because with Jesus, the conquering of fear is a very real possibility.

The overall point of the book is to begin looking to Jesus to conquer your fears. Have faith in Him, instead of fear of others or situations you are unable to control.

If I was asked to recommend a book to others on Fear, Fearless would be among my choices. However, I didn't find it to be overly profound or deep. I would recommend it to a new Christian, but a well educated, mature Christian may not find it stimulating enough.

~Brenda

1 comment:

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

Thanks for the reminder to be not afraid. I need it this week! The book sounds good.